Monday, May 24, 2021

The Long Awaited Iron Brigade

Well I’ve finally done it after twenty years of messing around, I’ve started the Iron Brigade! I’ve just dived straight in and with a large brush and wet brushed all the leather work with a black leather paint. I have collected many figures for this over the years, far too many in fact. I imagine some will end up as Confederates.
These large figures charging with their out stretched bayonets are so long, I’ve had to order some deeper bases for them. An extra 10mm on the front so they can be placed in March column without stabbing each other to death.
So far there are a mix of Steve Barber, Redoubt and 1st Corps miniatures with a Foundry casualty figure thrown in for old times sake. My old Foundry Iron Brigade figures aren’t quite historically accurate so this lot will replace them. No shiny scale epaulettes on these new guys. 
The Steve Barber heads are a good match in size for the actual IB heads of 1st Corps, the two should merge together well in the regiments. I’m not sure how many I will get done before I go off onto another project, but I have easily enough figures for five regiments, basically the whole Brigade.



 This looks quite bright at the moment but black washes will tone it all down.

3 comments:

wackmole9 said...

Hi

So will be Brawler Farm era Iron Brigade or later

Secundus said...

I’m planning on 1863, so most of the white gaiters are gone and a few sack coats in the ranks. I always think of Gettysburg and the railway cut.

Grenzer John said...

Hurrah, boys! Hurrah!