Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Dark Tone on Union Blue

As I was working my way through these Iron Brigade figures, leaving a lot of colours for a black wash. I thought what if I could kill two birds with one stone and just used Dark Tone dip instead. So I got my old tin down off the shelf and blew  the dust off it. The Dark tone wasn’t as dark as I thought it would be, even after a good stir. However, the shading looks good on the trousers and that was the main thing I was worried about. 
Everything from gun, leather equipment, frock coat and Hardee hat needed a black wash, it just seemed like a no brainier to use the Dark tone. Hopefully being an older tin it might actually dry in 24hrs rather than 84...
 




This tin is another one of my ten year old collection. It  wasn’t used as much back in my ‘Celtic warband’ days, so is in better condition today.
 

6 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

Great looking Iron brigade!
Best Iain

Aly Morrison said...

They look lovely ...
The gloss finish actually works quite well on them... if you ever decide to go shiny, then you are sorted.

All the best. Aly

Mad Padre said...

Tney look really good. I've had some qualms lately about Army Painter Dark Tone because it has a shiny finish, which I usually negate with a Dullcote spray as a last step. I just bought the Wargames Foundry ACW paint set, which seems to rely on layering rather than washes, so I am curious to see how that works.

Johns Miniatures said...

They look great mate!

Secundus said...

I use the Same paint set. To speed things up I just use pot B and highlight it slightly with pot C. This is the brighter end of the triad paint system but this is perfect for Dipping. As painting on the Dip darkens everything down anyway so the brighter it is to start with is kind of a good thing with Dip. I paint on Vallejo matt varnish rather than spray. I add another coat if I miss a bit or it’s still shiny.

Secundus said...

Btw it’s a really good set and saves sooooo much time trying to pick colours. The confederate range looks great, I’m looking forward to using those.