Thursday, March 10, 2022

Elven Cloaks in Green Stuff

When making the Green stuff cloaks, I first wet the mat with water, this stops the putty from sticking.
I use the handle of the knife to roll the putty flat so I can cut out a basic pattern, as seen above. Don't forget to wet whatever you're using to roll with too.
The rough cloak shape is put into place and fitted around the neck.

This pointed tool is great for shaping and creating folds. I use this for the heavy lifting with the sculpting and forming the main shapes.

This soft clay tool is then used for the more subtle stuff. This one isn't really necessary but it can help to make for smoother folds.

I then do little touches like press the retractable pencil into the front to act as cloak clasps.
The left over putty is put to use on small details, like belt pouches and shield designs.

 

I used my homemade pin tool to do a detailed leaf cloak.

The new captain of the third Lindir company gets a leaf shield.
I put lots of folds in this musician's cloak as he is running, so I wanted something dynamic. This technique is done more with the fingers than the tools.

3 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

More lovely work with Green Stuff…
So… when do you think you will attempt your first full figure? 😁

All the best. Aly

Secundus said...

I'm not sure I'm quite up for that lol. Cloaks and pouches are my limit at the moment.

Jim Jackaman said...

That's a great little 'how to'. Thanks!