Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Elf Leaf Mail

 These scale clad torsos are from the Fireforge sergeants box set. There are a two on each sprue together with a couple more that make for good Elf bodies. This bit of variety will help break up the chain-mail clad Oathmark set a bit.

Below, working out the Elven shield wall. It's important to remember while making a hedge of spears to include a few rear ranks with spears and weapons up, this helps with the basing. This is easy to forget once you get carried away with the cool front rank poses.


Horse tails add a little variety to the large feathers on the helmets.



Here is the progress so far, there should be enough to make two units of 12 with a few left over. The problem is at the moment I started my Elf army clad in grey/blue. This looks nice but does it say Wood Elf...not really. I have been doing some tests, painting the cloaks chestnut brown, which looks very Wood Elf, however the army will now look a little disjointed between the archers and the spear men. Maybe I could do a company in brown and one in grey/blue. All things to think about...

5 comments:

Codsticker said...

Very nice conversion work. Those heads are a great match for those bodies.

Bluewillow said...

Coming along nicely,

As for colours I prefer a blue, blue greys and greys myself for my elves, but green, yellows and autumn orange reds for wood elf types.

All the best

Salut
Matt

Secundus said...

Yes this is the problem, when I started I wasn’t really thinking wood elf, but you kind of have too when playing the five armies. I’ll do some more colour tests and go from there. Grey blue would tie the army together. I was thinking maybe I could just have a single unit of brown Autumn guys with the rest being blue.

Secundus said...

The path wardens of something...

Bluewillow said...

Yes a special unit sounds fine! Solution solved

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays