Friday, January 24, 2020

Essex Miniatures ECW Cavalry

 The addition of five more figures from EBay prompted me to start another squadron. This is going to be a large one of eight rather than six models, should look nice crammed together, knee to knee. I have increased the size of my Foote regiments by ten figures or so, which in turn means everything else must nudge up too including the horse.
 This is a figure of Olly Cromwell from Essex miniatures, in my games this nice characterful chap will be based on my friend, one Mr Gurney.
Gurney’s Horse will be a large Iron side unit. Most of my regiments will be based on my friends and family, makes the units more personal and interesting. My wife’s maiden name will go towards my new blew coated regiment... Sir Herbert Jackson’s Régiment of Foote and will take to the field to fight for Parliament.
 I’m very pleased with these new figures, they have been resculpted since but the newer versions are not as good, more on this in a moment.
A new regiment of horse is laid out and sorted. I painted a lot of horses using the oil wash technique a year or two ago so that should really speed things up. This oil technique is quite smelly and messy so if you’re going to do it, make sure you do loads at a time. I think I have around fifty shaded horses ready to go, chomping at the bit.

No comments: