Finally dry enough to spray with a layer of Testors dull coat, the results were good. I gave each figure two layers with the dull coat, leaving enough time for the first to dry. I also sprayed into the heated air of a hair dryer I had hung on the wall, this is just to guard against frosting. It has been raining here. I have tried this method before and I think the results are better for it.
Gurney's Horse are almost ready to take the field.
The Testors dull-coat does tend to be very matte though, I will give the armour a coat of brush on matte varnish, this has a slightly satin look and should look good on the metal.