Thursday, January 09, 2020

Blew coats on the Move

 While I’m in the mood I thought I would quickly try to finish off a Blew regiment of foote that has sat gathering dust. Recently I had been getting enthused about the Border Reviers and have been weighing up if you buy some or not. This came from following a link on ‘I live with cats’ blog.
 Luckily for me I managed to go into my brain and do a bit of rewiring, why start another 16th Century era when you have one to finish off already. So I managed to channel all that enthusiasm back into my ECW figures which are all bought and paid for.

 This is one sleeve of Shotte, I now base them in two bases so they can be split to man hedgerows etc. The War of Three Kings rules offer me everything I was looking for and even match my basing so they are the ones I have ear marked to play. The problem is painting armies is a very long process and by the time you are in a position to game, new rules have come out. However the WOTK look good and I love all the different regiment configurations.

I’m toying with making this unit ‘regulation’ by giving them less pikes and more muskets. This answers my dilemma about how to get more muskets into the better equipped Parliamentarian regiments. Of course this means they gain a slight bonus when firing but loose it in melee against other pike blocks.

I couldn't find the front base all night, I was sure I had made it as I remember the guy kneeing down. I had almost given up and was about to leave when I discovered it on the floor, kicked under the table. That's the trouble with having unfinished stuff kicking around for years, they kind of get, well... kicked around.
Luckily they didn't suffer too bad, although I notice some of the paint has been knocked off the muskets, need to fix that.
It'll be good to get these guys out the way, nice a safe upstairs in a box.

3 comments:

szeperd said...

I like the story of finding the base under the table a lot!

So nice to see the muskets and look forward to see even more.

BigRedBat said...

Very nice! This year I hope to base up the Sedgemoor armies, which I have been quietly accumulating...

Secundus said...

I’ll loce to see those, I was very close to collecting some but the price of a new project stopped me. I got quite into the Boyne though and even bought some rules.