Sunday, April 10, 2022

Buckinghamshire Trained Bands

I decided on the crazy idea to expand the size of the Buckinghamshire Trained Bands. This originally was going to be a smallish unit of Commanded Shotte. However, after finding a set of fantastic Buckingham colours, I've decided to create another large regiment.

The last colour is the Buckinghamshire one. As I come from Bedfordshire, this unit has a connection with me.
I'm going for a speed paint process of dry brushing and Contrast paints.





After three layers of highlights from a black undercoat, Contrast paints are carefully added.
Real fun can be gained by mixing different colours and getting unique shades.



I will use the tunic colours as a guide to layer up, the breeches will stay simple with just one layer.
This US cavalryman will need toning down slightly I think. 

Grey leggings work well on these highlighted figured.

I've ordered some flesh Contrast paint, so we'll have to see how that works out.

UPDATE: The first batch of the new unit are dipped. Working with the Contrast paints is fun and quite rewarding. The figure starts to come together once the flesh is painted.






I'm pleased because this new regiment will help use up all the Trained band figures I bought recently. They are the new ones from Bicorne Miniatures and sport the characteristic buff jerkins.


This regiment of will be bigger than the normal sized ones, as Trained Bands tended to be large donations.
I think in Victory without Quarter, I will keep their stats the same but just add another life to them, giving the unit four wounds instead of three.

I'm also really enjoying swapping the heads of these old plastic miniatures with lead ones. It allows so much more character to come through.


3 comments:

Rob said...

Don't be a tease - show us the colours.

Secundus said...

They are basically the standard of Buckinghamshire with the swan in them.

Secundus said...

Done, I've added the sheet of colours.