Sunday, April 03, 2022

ECW Commanded Shotte

I've actually missed dipping figures, the quick painting, the smell, the production line. After sitting for a few months on the waiting list, the latest Parliamentary unit gets down with the brown.
Groups of eight miniatures on the painting table keeps the process fun. There is a bit more detail and colours to do than on ACW figures, so 8/9 is the perfect number. Out of interest, when painting ACW I find a batch of 14 is the perfect number to paint at once.
My usual technique of dry brushing light browns and then using Contrast paints to add quick colours to trousers etc. Once all the base colours are blocked in, I will tidy up the details.
The squat little figure is from Essex, he is a classic officer of the New model army. A must for a Round head army.


The New noddle army...

As I've been using red browns for the Wood Elves, russet brown is on the menu, from my new Reaper paints. This should really please Cromwell who has a soft spot for russet coated captains.

 
I have to say this latest unit has been heavily inspired by the Sunnybank's foot, from the fantastic Marlowe to Maidenhythe scenario pack for the ECW. I'm tempted to call mine the Toddington Foot, as it is quite local to my area. 
However, I think Toddington might have had Royalist tendencies with the manor house there. I need to do some more research...

UPDATE: The second batch of musketeers are dipped. I shook the tin instead of stirring it this time, the results were a lot darker.



I used some old Foundry figures to add to the standing poses. I stuck them on plastic bases first to give them a bit of extra height, this helps them match with the large Bicorne sculpts.

2 comments:

Neil said...

They are looking good. I can't wait to see the final product.
Neil

Rob said...

Snap! ECW shot for Forlorn Hopes and detachments to support Horse is what's on my painting table at the moment.