Saturday, August 27, 2022

Painting Three Band Enfields

Having a very black barrel and metal work, I didn't want to go too bright with the highlighting of the Enfield. To keep the very dark barrel I just used the edge of a pencil to give it a quick brushing over.
Its a nice touch to give the Confederate bases more character in the form of their firearms. The British made Enfield is a great way to do that. The wooden stock was a much paler, sandy coloured wood than that of the Union Springfield and the metal work was basically black.

I've also been using Sharpies to help colour some metal details. These are quick to use and give you a lot of control. After the success of this latest project, I have ordered a gold one too for buckles etc.
 

'New wood' from Vallejo is the perfect colour for these rifled muskets. The British also used brass for the trigger guard and gave the gun a white strap. Little touches but ones that can be seen at a distance and on a gaming table.
Dipped and drying, this skirmisher is itching to take his new Enfield for a spin.



A short barrelled Enfield beside the Springfield.
 


UPDATE:
It took a bit longer than expected, but my new metallic Sharpies arrived. I wasted no time in trying the gold on some brass buttons. It worked a treat and was easier than trying to do it with paint. For speed painting these ACW figures, I'm a convert!

 


 

3 comments:

Rob said...

Intrigued by your use of metallic Sharpies - I've ordered a set (gold, silver & bronze) to try out. I've always found metallic paints a trial to use so maybe this is the answer - if only they did a gun metal as well...

Secundus said...

It's worth a go, my set still hasn't turned up... I've seen packets in the shops though, so at least they're easy to get hold of.

Rob said...

Well the Sharpies have proven themselves a great way to grip my metallic fears - thanks for the tip. Now just got to find some with a finer nib.