Thursday, December 28, 2023

Weird World War I Germans

Having made these minis a while ago from various plastic kits, it was great to finally put some paint on them.
I painted this figure as a guide for the others. I was pleased with how the green armour came out. I wanted him to be mostly green so he said WWI rather than in later greys 


Adding wood to the guns kept them low tech which helped with the First World War vibe.
This officer will have a fancy fur lined coat. I used green stuff to cover the binoculars strap and took as a chance to upgrade his coat.
Modelling this era gives you a chance to try out various mud washes on the market too. I had to fight with myself not to go too crazy with them.


I used a lead pencil to edge the armour plates to give them some wear and tear.In the background is some primitive armour from Pig Iron.

UPDATE:
These squad is now finished, just a bit of work to do on their bases when the mud drys.


I think the high point came when I dropped some gloss varnish into the eye lenses. These really popped against the Matt uniform and made the model look very realistic.
I placed the odd piece of broken duck board and skull into the mud to help with the WWI look.






The good these about Xenos Rampant is the units are five men strong. These soldiers will be classed as Light infantry.




They have the First spear division icon on their right shoulder pauldron. The whole force will share this device and it should be good to tie men and vehicles together.
Basing time... I tried out this new product for me from Green Stuff World. After putting on a layer of Vallejo thick mud, I gave the base a wash with this new light earth. I watered it down slightly so it wasn't so intense. At this point I also used it to weather up the figures too. The heavy vehicles also received a touch up with it. I think it's a great little find and looks great when applied.






Mudding up this soldiers boots was a joy, keeping the dark wet mud on the bottom, but switching to the lighter dry mud further up his leg. It's also the perfect colour to dilute down and wash over the armour. I tried not to go too mad with it, but that's the challenge.
I'm pleased with the colour choices as I think they work well and give a very strong German assectic. Going through Pinterest and looking at loads of references was a big help. There are countless sci-fi illustrations on there as well, an endless source for your imagination.

No comments: