Friday, May 22, 2020

Speed painting Orcs


 Another batch of dirty orcs shuffle around waiting to be based. I made these guys up a few months ago from plastic kits. They are all kit bashed from several different box sets from as many different manufacturers. These were particularly fun to paint because on a lot of them I had sculpted green stuff helmets and cloaks/ furs.







 The trick I use to crank through these evil creatures is to do basic dark colours then shade with a watered down wash of Woodland scenics ‘black’. I have also mixed this black with some WS brown to create my ‘magic mix’. This magic mix is great for slopping on all over the skin and clothes to create a dirty wash. Quick to do, but when all based together, the overall look is effective.
This is my brave attempt at doing some simple sculpting. If you’re going to have a go at sculpting... start with orcs, as it doesn’t really matter if the result is a bit rough and ready. Orc smiths aren’t known for their high standards. I had great fun with these later batches of orcs, creating crude helmets and trying to make them look a little more ‘orcy’. These should look good mixed into the other goblin rabble once based.
 These orcs are meant to be very dark and dirty in appearance, so I don’t worry too much about detail on the clothes, they are to be viewed as a mass horde all merging into one. After washes of black and brown on weapons etc. I might go in with some flesh wash and touch on the weapons and armour, this is good for rust.


 The magic paint which acts like a an ink when watered down. It can also be mixed with Umber brown to create a dirty wash.
 Once the black wash is dry I may go over the colour again to highlight it... but not always, depends on the colour. I don’t want my orcs becoming too bright and like them looking dark and grotty.
 Another line of orcs await the quick armour dry brush and their base colours.
Below, woodland scenics paint, these paints can be easily mixed together to form various washes. Not just browns but greens for armour, this I use for my Elves but it also looks good on orc armour too.

8 comments:

Mr Ballista said...

Orcs, dwarves, elves...are you planning on adding a human army to the list?

Secundus said...

Yes that’s he men of lake town will be added at some point. I’ve already started to collect the figure. Mostly Viking from Artizan that I got from eBay. They have the long swords described in the book.

Jacksarge Painting said...

Inspiring stuff. Really enjoy seeing your posts.

Secundus said...

Cheers Jack, it’s always nice to see you on here.

Codsticker said...

I have been wondering about experimenting with the Woodland Scenics liquid pigments but never took the chance. Having seen your results I think I might now; they obviously can be used as a basis for a good wash/ink.

Secundus said...

Yes they are worth a go. I use them for most things now.

szeperd said...

Again, I am astonished with your Orcs universum.

Greg G said...

Love these Orc posts.