Saturday, January 08, 2022

Converting trolls into Fomorians

I bought some large eared plastic trolls from Reaper miniatures, as I thought their look matched the Alternative Armies Fomorians. My cunning plan is to add some ocean bits to turn them into evil Fomori.

I thought the cave troll would be larger than it was but it’s still bigger than my other models so it’s still good. It comes in roughly the same size as the large metal Fomorian, but at a fraction of the cost. 

I went for two Reaper ‘Bones’ figures as it came to the same price as just one of the same figure in metal. When collecting an army, it all helps.


 The troll is slightly has larger features but as Fomorians are all different and twisted, this doesn’t really matter. It’s nice to have some larger variants to mix into the war bands.
I decided a helmet would be good for one to really make the two as different as possible. Fishy scales etc help to give it a watery feel.
I used a new scrapy tool to create another seaweed cloak, the largest yet.
Copying the Alternative Armies Fomori, I’m trying to incorporate a diamond shape into my helmets, this hopefully will give them an armour style.
More Diamond motifs.



My new homemade needle pen came into its own with some very small detailing. Holes within holes.

The larger metal troll king from Reaper. These are all obviously sculpted by the same artist.

 The new Fomorians next to their smaller metal kin.

 I think the Bones miniatures came in around £3 something which is brilliant. The metal equivalent is around £8 something off the top of my head. The large metal Fomorian is £10, so these Reaper Bones figures are a good bargain.

This is an interesting one, I bought this Hobgoblin for my orc collection. However, it was a little too big to use, it does fit perfectly with the Fomori though. So after a little sculpting another sea devil was born.
Once his helmet is dry, I will add a few more seaweed bits to him so he matches the others.


Size wise he fits right in and has a nice pose too.

UPDATE: You’ve got mail!
This morning I added some more green stuff over the now dry work from yesterday. I was looking forward to trying my new needle pen.

This Fomorian champion got some flashy fish scale armour.
The ranks of large Fomorians are growing in number.
So here we go… the needle pen in action. This champion gets a fine coat of mail. Strangely satisfying to do, nice and slow and no rushing with this stuff. The smaller needle certainly makes a difference. It’s a better job than the orcish test piece.




A few orcs help to use up spare putty. It’s also another excuse to do some more practice.
Even old Seaweed Joe gets a new hair style and some new mail. A plastic shoulder guard from a Night goblin set fits him perfectly and saves some sculpting.
I left the putty for 30 minutes are pushing into place before starting the mail. This did work a lot better as the green stuff was a lot firmer.

They are certainly looking quite different from each other now.

4 comments:

Nucular Draclear said...

Really enjoying watching this project unfold, thanks for sharing

Kev Moon said...

Love the first helmet. It's really fitting and we'll done.

Codsticker said...

I agree with Nucular; lots of fun following this and I have to add that your sculpting is getting tighter and more defined as it progresses which is impressive.

Wojciech Krzyminski said...

The Fomori warriors look great. Your conversions inspired me to do something similar.