Friday, January 07, 2022

Preparing for Elven Mail

Yesterday I gave a good attempt at creating mail out of green stuff. I was quite pleased with the results but after taking a picture, the close up revealed it looked a bit shoddy. There’s always a good reason for experimenting on orcs, shoddy suits them well. 

So I went onto YouTube and watched some green stuff videos and learnt some good tips. Apparently, it’s best to put the putty on and get it looking right, then leave it for half an hour to set slightly. This will firm it up and stop it pulling so much when doing the mail pattern. This is a good tip, as I was leaving my stuff for 15 mins.

I also decided to create a special Elven tool for making intricate mail. I simply took a needle and hot glued it into the end of an old pen. Hopefully this will be much more effective to use and craft with, than trying to hold a needle.
Here is my usual tool I use, not a great deal of difference but we shall see. It would be nice to have two different sizes of mail on the same figure.
Keen are the eyes of the Elves… I’m going to need my special glasses for this.

 A rather ropey orc job. This orc has pillaged the Dwarven armouries in Mt Gundabad. This long coif used to cover a Dwarf’s beautiful beard. 


2 comments:

James said...

Looking forward to seeing you do elves!
You'll be ready for the whole battle then won't you?

Secundus said...

Haha yes I guess so. I do have a couple of Lake town guys to do.