Sunday, January 02, 2022

Helmets of the Sea

I’m getting quite adventurous now with the headwear. It’s good news because it means that ‘weak’ plastic heads can be improved with a helmet.
Another fish fin theme going on here.

More weird Celtic swirls easily done with a bit of practice and a retractable pencil.

 

A rather large shell helmet. I had an idea of how to create this and it kind of worked. I started off by making a pointed shape then twisting it with my fingers. This made the basic spiral shape that was then smoothed down with the tools.




This is the first basic shape before twisting it around to form the shell spiral.
Messing around trying out leaf like armour. This would be fish scale armour for Fomorians, but is great practice for my Wood elves in the future.

Another dose of mail finally finishes this warrior.

Any left over green stuff gets used up on sea-weedy rocks for the bases.
This giant Fomorian champion gets some barnacles for his troubles.
One of these kids is doing his own thing.

More fish scale type armour, very useful for the Elves in the pipeline.
Group shot of the new headgear. They are definitely the most tricky thing to do, but they have the most visual impact for sure.




5 comments:

JC said...

Great work! Those pointed shell helmets are reminiscent of Rodney Matthews' goblins; it's a good look!

Secundus said...

Oh yes I see what you mean. Thank you.

Aly Morrison said...

Terrific stuff…
Have thought of adding any of the old Citadel Slann or Lizard Men into this collection?

All the best. Aly

Secundus said...

Not really but I intend to add some nice aquatic trolls from Reaper Miniatures. I loved the Slann and have around twenty of them.
In fact I love the Lizard men too but I don’t think I’ll ever get around to them. I have a Dark Elf army which is now been put on ice.

Biblicrafts Miniatures said...

Great sculpting sir!! Looking forward to see these painted :)
Happy New Year!