Thursday, June 15, 2023

Creating Shockwave

You can't plan a wargame around Cybertron with including its custodian...the mighty Shockwave!

I have struggled to find a scale figure of the Decepticon that matches my forces, so I decided to have a go at creating one. My version is a very old version of Shockwave, maybe he has altered himself since.

I started with finding a Battle mech resin figure that gave off Shockwave vibes. I had planned to extend the lower legs to make it taller. The idea came to me to just replace the whole leg section with another gun robot, Megatron. I had a 3.5" figure going spare.


In the cartoon, Shockwave is the same size as Soundwave, so I used this figure for scale. In the end I shortened him slightly as he was getting too tall.


I found Lego is a real boon when it comes to this sort of model making. 






The hose is from an old Playmobil set.

Blaster gets his speakers with the help of some Lego bits.


The new slightly shorter Shockwave looks a lot better and ranks up perfectly with the others. Megatron being just a tad taller.

The scenarios for battles on Cybertron will involve the Autobots carrying out raids for energon. Shockwave is a huge part of this as he is normally in charge of protecting said energon. I couldn't plan for such games and not have a Shockwave character.
Shockwave with his future minions. These smaller Soundwaves will be turned into camera and other generic bots of Cybertron.



This was a look of fun and I can't wait to paint him up.

 Proxy Shockwave, the custodian of Cybertron.

UPDATE; Grey undercoat from Halfords does the job, he looks better already.









UPDATE: well I couldn't resist in pushing on and finishing him. I also got to paint up Blaster, an Autobot boom box.

Tomorrow I will varnish him which will help with the metal look.





Shockwave in scale with the Seekers.
I had tried to paint this guy in my own colours, but I just couldn't get him looking good. So in the end I looked up a alternative colour scheme for Blaster and copied it. I believe this new version is called Twincast.

UPDATE: finished at last. Stickers added and varnished.












Autobot intruders! Prepare for annihilation!



I've added a chunk of wing to his base to give the illusion of a battle scene.
We've come a long way from the Highlander Battle Mech, but the results are good I think and it was a lot of fun. There's no question as to who he is, even though there are many differences. Shockwave is a very large, powerful bot, energon raids have now just become a lot more perilous!

No comments: