Thursday, November 18, 2021

Standing stones and References

This stone I gave a blueish grey undercoat just to mix it up a little.
Not quite based but painted up. The grim stones start to come to life. 
They were painted using Foundry ‘granite’ triad colours. When dry I sponged on yellows and off white to act as lichen.
I did a bit of Bronze Age fact finding yesterday on YouTube and found some great reference for painting.
Close up of Celtic standing stones, covered in algae and lichen.
I also looking up old bronze swords to see the colour they went, they did not disappoint. Lovely blues and purples with other colours mixed in. This will be great for my Fomorian swords. Living in the sea can’t be good for any swords, even enchanted ones!




I’ve got my GW NIHILAKH OXIDE wash standing by.
Nice purples on the stones too, might have to copy that. 
I did give my stones a green wash, but judging by the picture above I may have to give it another coat. Maybe one can be really green and overgrown, lost looking.

 
Okay, so I made this stone very green to match the photos. 

Also a Fomorian made from a Wargames Atlantic Lizardman. I’m very happy with these as they are smaller than the snakemen and so add variety. Their smooth limbs also match the metal Formations from Alternative Armies, which is great. A bit of green stuff hair and he will really look the part. I also bought some resin skulls from Alternative Armies. Everyone knows the land of ancient myth in covered in skulls.

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

They look excellent, great idea using the sponge for adding the yellow, I'm gonna pinch that idea for buildings.

tradgardmastare said...

Excellent work , most atmospheric.

pancerni said...

Very well done, good use of research and tools available. Creative ideas will make the dressed table awesome.

Aly Morrison said...

They have turned out really well…
I’m looking forward to seeing your bronze effects …
Copper is another metal that gets a nice patina…

All the best. Aly

Neil said...

Nicely done and a great addition to the tabletop look.
Neil

Rob said...

They are splendid and bizarrely more convining that the photos of the real thing which looks unnaturally green.