Saturday, November 06, 2021

Orc spear unit WIP

I tried something a little different with this new unit. I dry brushed the black undercoat silver and used a load of washes to make it look rusty. However, I stippled another layer of silver over this rust layer to simulate the metal ageing. It seemed to work and gave the armour a very old look.




I had to add some Terps to the Dip again but it didn’t seem to change the effect. I also added some orange rust patches to these guys to add a bit of colour.

Six down…a million to go.

I found painting them in groups of six was best, that way you get to finish a batch in a night. Dipping them in Dark tone is a nice cherry on the cake to look forward to a the end of a session.

 

5 comments:

Rob said...

The only way to describe that finish is 'patina' - they really do look like they're carrying old, ill-maintained armour and weapons. Your use of Army Dip is oh so tempting.

Codsticker said...

I agree, that is a great result. I think I will pinch that method when I get around to painting the armour of the skeletons from GW's Cursed City game.

Neil said...

Dang those look good.
Neil

Secundus said...

Thank you guys, I’m trying to keep them simple as there so many to get through. I have come up with a plan to use the same colour paints on their clothes. Makes them look a bit more organised and professional too. Maybe this is veteran unit.

Secundus said...

Thank you guys, I’m trying to keep them simple as there so many to get through. I have come up with a plan to use the same colour paints on their clothes. Makes them look a bit more organised and professional too. Maybe this is veteran unit.