Monday, November 15, 2021

Creating Celtic standing Stones

I thought I would have a go at creating some Irish myth scenery for the battlefield. I looked around on eBay but nothing really was right, then I had the idea of sculpting some simple patterns onto stones. Over the years I have picked up anything vaguely useful for war gaming and these stones are a perfect example. Garden centres are a great place to get good stones from, 
Having selected a few good looking stones I pressed some old Milliput onto them. I didn’t want to use my green stuff as I’m running low. 
Another stone was ‘rolled’ over it to create a texture. Don’t press the stone as this can pull up the Milliput. A rolling technique produces a good effect.


 

Once the Milliput is textured and looks rock like, I started to press and carve patterns into the soft putty. I had done a little research on symbols from the era, lucky some of these were quite straight forward to do.



My trusty retractable pencil end paid off AGAIN with some tiny circles around the pattern.

I created this one based on a carving of Balor, leader of the Fomorians. I gave him a sword to show his martial skill and warrior status. The other patterns I have seen in connection with the Tuatha De Danaan. 
Very mysterious and fey, these stones will be of long forgotten peoples and culture.

The Fomorian stone was a bit more tricky but rewarding. Once dry these will be stuck into 60mm round bases and painted up. These are addictive and it’s got me looking out for more good stones from the garden.
Here are the two references I found and used for inspiration. Let your imagination go mad I say, I look forward to doing more creepy Fomorian stones that’s for sure.
The best thing about this venture is it cost me nothing really, just some very old Milliput that was on its last legs. This could be used with a pinch of salt in Middle Earth or of corse Oathmark. They could make nice little Oathmarks themselves. 
Have a go it’s free and easy, just don’t bring anything through from the other side when creating ruins… have fun bye.

UPDATE:
The Milliput is dry now and I’ve hot glued the stones to some  60mm round bases. I tried to get in touch with my pagan self and create something truly ancient and mysterious. 
Radiating stones from the standing stone I have seen on the internet. Probably a modern addition but a good idea for a base.

I found a tiny fossil in my stones which looks great as a stone bowl. Heaven knows what gets poured into it but I’ve got a good idea.


This is the Fomorian standing stone with its ominous looking alter. Many souls are set free on this huge flat rock under the watchful eye of Balor the sun god.
Looking at this photo I’ve just had a dark idea for the bowl. Severed heads could be placed on the side rock and their blood could run down into the bowl. Grim…but it kind of makes sense. 
The old gods were always hungry and nothing could quench their thirst. Drinking…always drinking.
This is a larger 80mm base and seemed to cry out for a stone circle. It would be nice to create one that has a pool of water in front of it. I’d have to use the hot glue gun to build up the sides of the pool and maybe use some matt varnish to pour into it to act as water. Hopefully it would dry clear. Maybe a weapon could be in it. I got this idea from some of the lovely work seen on the Oathmark Facebook group. Some clever stuff on there that will certainly be useful for Celtic myth bases for sure.
I have ordered some 28mm resin skulls off eBay that will finish this dark alter quite nicely. Bronze swords, shields and spears will also look great scattered around some of the foreboding structures, offering to the old gods. Victory in battle guaranteed through the sacrifice of a priceless heirloom.
The last standing stone is a huge square slab, quite plain compared to the others. Which ones are divine and which are chaotic… or are they all dark and twisted?

One thing is for certain, they are all fey and terrible. If you see one in a field, do not approach it. Turn your coat inside out and swop your boots over to the wrong feet. Back away slowly, ranting like a lunatic. Fearies are terrified of madness, they think it is contagious! It may be the only thing that saves you. You have been warned.

5 comments:

Kev Moon said...

Love them. Great work.

Ray Rousell said...

Excellent! Can't wait to see them painted up.

pancerni said...

Very thematic, thanks for the step by step......

James said...

Quite effective.
I've got a ring of mushrooms growing in the lawn around my oak tree. Should I be worried?

Secundus said...

Just don’t fall asleep in there, you might wake up in the under dark.