Saturday, December 18, 2021

Creating Ancient Armour


After the first layers of green stuff were dry I moved on to the next items. I noticed on the Alternative Armies sculpts, some of the larger Fomorians have ornate shoulder armour. I thought I would give this a go with some green stuff.
 My idea really was to do a basic shape then fill it with tiny details to make it look ornate. For this I searched my putty tools to find some weird shapes. I hit gold with an old dental tool with a textured end. This made a tiny cheque pattern that should catch a nice ink wash.
These patterns are nonsense really, just enough detail to give the illusion of high craftsmanship. A pen was used to make a circle, then a smaller circle was put inside it using the retractable pencil. This looked very Celtic. 

This one looks quite fish like with two large eyes and a mouth. This was not intentional but it has given me an idea, it would be great to do some sea themed armour. Fish faces on the shoulders would tie in nicely with the aesthetic of these sea devils.
The textured tool was used to cover the surface of the shoulder piece. This tiny detail reminds me of the Saxon armour details from the Sutton Hoo find.

The find of the century, a great tool for creating micro detailing on the putty.



This is the ‘Saxon’ detailing I mentioned earlier. These should add some ‘bling’ to the dark, shabby Formorion battle lines. These latest warriors must be of higher class than the others with all this armour.
The retractable pencil was used to go around the edges of the armour to give extra detail. Anything that catches ink and can take a nice dry brush.
 

3 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

I am enjoying seeing what you are doing with the green stuff and the figures in general.

James said...

Wow! Just amazing!

Codsticker said...

Really impressive! Your custom putty work is really amazing; it perfectly suits the subject matter.