Friday, December 17, 2021

A Dark Twist

Whilst looking for orc heads on eBay as you do, I came across these strange things. They are 3D printed and are of orcs wearing various animal skulls. Though not really suitable for my Hobbit armies, I did grab some for my Fomorians.
It’s quite a nice nod, as Fomorians have been depicted as having the heads of goats. I imagine this after the Catholic faith came to Ireland and they were made into literally goat headed devils.
So having some weird and wonderful goat skulls is quite a nice touch I think. There are also giant sea bird skulls from some distant island that have been grabbed and used. These should help to add a bit more fantastical weirdness into the army.

The main reason I choose them is they have the big ears that are similar to the metal sculpts from Alternative Armies. The skulls should contrast well with the dark grey skin and so definitely look like a mask, rather than a kind of Beastman.




Human skulls, giant rat skulls, bird skulls and goat skulls. All stuck on top of orc heads, why not!

The Fomorian army has just taken a dark turn into the realms of the slightly unnerving and creepy.

 I have also just bought some different sculpting tools, so I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with them. I’m planning on attempting some small leaf mail designs, but we will see.


 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have long lurked & admired and I am always awed by both your inventive work and your sheer output. It has all been brilliant! Your new Fomorian project is taking things to a completely different, & even higher, level of artistry. Congratulations. I am sure that I am not alone in Hoping to see a report of them in action! And, Thank You for the brightness & Inspiration through all these last long months. When my Painting Mojo returns I plan to return to my too long abandoned classic Ral Partha Collection Big Base Fantasy Army Battle plan.
Thank You for the Inspiration & Merry Christmas!
~ Tom T

Secundus said...

Thanks Tom some lovely comments there. It’s always nice to hear that people are enjoying my strange ramblings and painting experiments. These sea fellas are very fun to do because i have to think a bit differently from when I do my orcs. They are similar in many ways but it’s figuring out new colour schemes and looks. Thanks for your kind words and a Merry Christmas to you too. I will see if I can do a picture this year, I always used to.

Grenzer John said...

Those guys obviously did NOT get their vaccines on time. Still your work is inspiring.

Secundus said...

Well funny enough they did… but it mutated with their Fomorian genes. Who knew our DNA would be so different, it must be down to their cold blood.

Khusru said...

Love the colour and painting on the Goblin. Very nice

Anonymous said...

It truly is a pleasure to watch your progress, and experiments. And Thank You for taking the time to share your methods.
Quite Inspiring!
~ Tom T