Saturday, December 18, 2021

Creating Green stuff Tools

Following some kind advice from sculpting legend Aly Morrison, I bought some brass rod off eBay and attempted to create some putty tools of my own.

I think the brass rod was a little too thick as I had real trouble bending it into shapes. I bought a few but could only really work one of them. I managed to bend/ flatten it into a shape for creating armour scales.



I was pleasantly surprised at the effect though and it definitely looked different from my other mark making techniques. So these new warriors got some snazzy neck armour that should look good painted bronze.

The start of something new. I may have to investigate a little more into the thickness of the rods.

I’ve also tried some new Goblin heads in order to find a cheaper option rather than old GW from eBay. This feathered head adds a little something different to the mix. I bought a sprue of Forest Goblins to try out. They have nice big ears like the old GW heads and some nice weapons too.

I’ve started to create larger eyes now after the good results after painting. These are truly things of the deep ocean.
I swoped this snake man pole arm out for a crude Forest Goblin blade, this should look good painted as jade. A look I have seen Kevin Dillamore do and always wanted to try.


 New neck plates, I can use this for my orcs too. I might need to refine it before the Elven smiths will accept me.

At the last minute I thought I’d try something a bit different and gave this guy some back quills. I thought it kind of goes with his head dress.
I thought the striking colours of the Lion fish would leave you in no doubt that the spines were poisonous. Also his headdress can be painted like this too.

These spines are the off cuts of Dwarf bows when I was creating more shield arms for my orcs. The out stretched arms  are great for shields once the bow is cut off. It also solves the problem of a shortage of left hand arms nicely.

5 comments:

Rob said...

So much originality - I can't wait to see the 'Lion Fish' paint job.

Simon said...

I do not usually like plastics, but yours are superb!

~ Tom T said...

You can get some wonderful textures using torn/broken ends of twigs. Also, finer diameter/gauge aluminum tubing and rod is really easy to distort and work with, (Old semi-retired jeweler experience.)
Merry Christmas, Again!
~ Tom T

Aly Morrison said...

These chaps are looking really good…
One of the problems with ordering things on the web is you can’t really judge the wall thickness of the brass tube…
As has been said aluminium is much easier to shape…but of course a bit more fragile.
Here’s something you could try…
If you have a small vice(we all have them…so don’t try and deny it) you should be able to squeeze your brass tube into into some shapes with a bit more precision… the vice should put pressure on the tube evenly… just go slowly…

All the best. Aly

Secundus said...

Thanks Aly I will try that. It’s all part of the the great learning curve. Many thanks again.