Monday, December 13, 2021

Fomorian WIP

I’m pleased to say that after a couple of weeks of loosing my painting mojo, tonight I picked up the brush again. It feels good to be back in the saddle too.
Right, so with these Fomorians I wanted them to look dark and slimy. I have seen many green skinned illustrations, but I wanted mine to reflect the dark North Sea. Luckily I found some greys which have a bluish hue to them. A kind of a sea grey if you will…
 These seaweed cloaks came to life when I put a brown wash on them after the green. I was thinking, if you crawled from the sea you wouldn’t really have a lot of furs on you, so cloaks made of water based stuff would make more sense. I imagine these are things of quality too, well made and full of craftsmanship. Though maybe not to our eyes, they just look like a matted mess.
These figures still aren’t finished yet, I just wanted to post something as it’s been a while. After I had dry brushed two lots of blue/grey paint, I dabbed some black with a sponge all over the flesh. This was to make them look mottled and blotched, words that come up a lot in the description of the Fomorian’s skin. 
I washed the bronze sword in black/blue contrast paints to give it a very weathered look. I also want these weapons to have a certain fey appearance, so I highlighted it with a metallic green.
I quite pleased with the test model. After the grey dry brushing, I gave the skin a wash of green ink from Army painter. This helped to give him a slimy, wet look. I think something that comes from the depths of the sea would have a dark, almost black skin.


Fomorians clamber up onto the shore and move inland for a raid. I’m hoping now I have worked out the simple colours, I can start to paint through the figures easier.
Any material items I have painted blue to reflect the sea. 
Here are the two paints I used for the skin. A highlight was also added after these just to bring out the scales etc.
I’m looking forward to painting this barnacle encrusted shield. I gave them all bronze weapons, this helps to give the army an ancient feel.

I quite like the blue tie dye looking effect on his loin cloth, I might use this for cloaks too, it looks very watery. The eyes are pale and milky. I used the shadow blues from Foundry for these.

So here we are so far, they certainly look very aquatic in their dark, muddy colours. I’m back enjoying painting again, great stuff!
 

4 comments:

JC said...

These look terrific! Great choice of colours - you can almost smell the brine and fish-stink!

Codsticker said...

I agree with JC- love the colours.

Rob said...

I love the colour schemes, very organic / corroded look - will they have a final wet look finish? They look like they ought to be slimy.

BigRedBat said...

Absolutely loving the painting and the imagination!