Friday, March 10, 2023

Backpack details

It was time to get these guys some updated gear. I used green stuff to fill in the gaps with a blanket roll. If I had any extra little bits left, I created smaller bits for the packs themselves. It was fun making this strap for the radio, using the pencil to make the button in the canvas.







A nice touch that was worth doing, was to put a wrap around the canisters on the pack. This really removed the ' just a piece of sprue' look to them and really improved them.

This heavy weapons guy carries a different pack with extra rounds. He also carries a tarp covering for the weapon on his pack.





I know the packs look huge and heavy, but I really wanted these guys to look weighed down with gear. Probably air breathing equipment and rations, spare rounds and the like.

Tank mine.
This grenadier is loaded up with tonnes of explosives of one kind or another. He carries a grenade launcher and a belt full of stick grenades. I also put some grenades in his pack for good measure as well as a tank mine on his belt.




The blankets were quick and simple to make. I simply rolled out a length of green stuff and indented two straps into it. As sculpting goes it's one of the easiest things I've done.

I think my green stuff was maybe passed it's best, as I found it dry and hard to work with. Not sure if it has a life span, but it sure felt like it. Luckily, the blankets were simple and didn't cause too much grief to do.


 

No comments: