Sunday, March 12, 2023

Glorious Mud!

This is something I haven't tried before, a brush loaded with paint being flicked to create splattered mud. Unlike the other untried trick of the chipping medium, this worked really well! It was also very simple and quick to do. The results are very effective and look good.



Splattered mud, this works well but it might be worth doing this in a boxed area. Unlike me, who coated everything in brown mud before I was finished.

It's always satisfying to magnetise a turret, it makes me feel like a proper modeller. This was simple to do and involved two very thin magnets superglued into the vehicle.

I love the snap and click a magnetised turret makes when it jumps into place. This turret is light enough to stay in place when turned upside down too, which is a nice bonus.

I gave the tank a coat of Satin varnish, this is so it gives a slight metallic sheen to the hull. For the wet mud and spilt oil, I coated these is Kleer floor varnish. This will give them a shiny, wet look.
The Satin varnish catches the light perfectly for a metal object.
A small red shield with a golden spear denotes these vehicles as belonging to the First Spear division.
I used the silver Sharpie again to put exposed metal areas in places of high use. This is very effective on the sharp edges of the hull.

 

2 comments:

Jim Jackaman said...

That works. I do a similar thing but with lighter colours as a final stage on AFVs

Secundus said...

It works doesn't it, nice and fun to do too.