Sunday, February 14, 2021

Basing day for the regiment









My basing process for these English Civil War chaps is fast and simple but effective. I want to give the impression of rutted earth that has seen a lot of heavy feet and hooves churn over it.

I’m still trying new stuff and adding a tiny amount of stones to the process is a case in point. I think they help with the realistic look. Right so here’s how I start; 

First I cover the base with wood glue which is strong PVA. Onto this I sprinkle a tiny amount of grit/ stones. These should pop up between the other layers and look good.

The first real covering layer is dark brown flock, this acts as the newly turned over earth and mud. Mine is called Dark earth.

Next I dot blobs of wood glue around in patches. Then light brown flock is then added. This sticks to the random patches and starts to add a shading to the base.

Again small patches of glue are added on top of the others layers and this time a green static grass is applied . Mine is called Summer Meadow. I have used this for years and it’s my go to grass. It has tiny flecks in it of purples etc. I imagine they are meant to be tiny flowers.

Lastly come the various flower and grass tufts. They really help to contour the base and make it less flat. These can be picked up easily on eBay as can the shades of flock.


Building up the layers of flock is another way of creating contouring within the base, leaving gaps where the dark brown can be seen. These look like foot prints or rutted holes in the ground.

More than anything though, this technique is really quick to buzz through. There’s no painting sand or anything like that, getting the glue in between all those pikemen is tricky enough without imagining painting in there. However once the first tricky job of painting the glue in there is done, the tiny patches of glue are very easy to do, no matter how crowded your base. I hope this helps.











 

7 comments:

Unlucky General said...

I love your ground effects and I am now going to have to try the brown flock basing prior to static grass. I haven't come across that before. Any chance you could step us through it next time with photos? Thanks for sharing.

szeperd said...

I am simply left speachless. Will surely use your ECW works as inspiration if I ever come to paint this conflict.

Marc said...

Hi there, lovely stuff as always! I have a question-- do you ever use cardboard for the actual multi-base sheet? Or is buying an MDF or plasticard one better? I have plenty of cardboard, but don't know if it's tough/ resistant enough. Thanks!

Neil said...

Very effective and it really looks realistic. Thanks for some ideas to use.
Regards,
Neil

http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Love the black flag - most effective!

Secundus said...

Marc I would go for 2mm laser cut msg bases. Try war bases for a massive selection.

Secundus said...

.MDF bases that’s meant to say