Saturday, February 06, 2021

Up to my sleeves in Dip.

The second sleeve of shotte is finished and queues up for the brown stuff. 
I almost forgot the courier in my haste to base up with the mud. Something I tried that worked quite well is to brush some of the mud onto the horse’s legs when wet. This of course will give the perfect look to a mud splattered horse.
Colonel Harry Geal takes to the field.

My Soft tone Army shade must be over ten years old now. A thick ‘skin’ has formed over the surface after the last few times using it. This has to be pierced by a stirring stick to get to the sticky goodness underneath. The solution is still going strong though after all this time. It’s quite rewarding to still be using it, although I did have to throw my Strong tone away last week. It had become quite thick and gooey. I added some paint thinner to it but this made it worse. It was never the same so I switched to my old Soft tone instead. I find it better to shade the model with washes to bring out certain details, then use the Soft tone to lock it all in and make it bomb proof.




Citadel colour paints are very handy for changing colours, this guy used to have brown trousers. A quick once over with a green Colour paint and now he looks a lot smarter.

Match-cord...bloody match-cord! Well there’s always one.

 The tar pit is open for business, bring your Mammoths, Dire wolves and Ground sloths to the party. 

3 comments:

Neil said...

Secundus,
I have never tried the dip technique. Do you use a flat matte afterwards?
Neil

https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

Secundus said...

Yeah I use the Vallejo matt varnish, comes in a white bottle. It drys with a slight shine but not too bad. I was put off using spray varnish after a bad experience of frosting.

Secundus said...

A slight sheen I should of said, shine sounds bad.