Sunday, February 07, 2021

Pike Block painted in Citadel Contrast Paints

Today I realised my trusty matt black spray paint was used up. Rather than wait for a delivery I thought I would crack on and try something new...brown!
After I had given the figures a coat of Humbrol mid brown, I dry brushed them with a couple of lighter coats. Around this time I decided to try and paint them with my new Contrast paint. For this the dry brushed highlights will be important.
I was happy to see that Templar black makes for great blackened armour painted over the highlights. To this I added some scratches using a lead pencil.

Dry brushed and waiting for Contrast colours.
Humbrol mud brown made for a good starting point, it took care of the snap sack, shoes, pike and belts in one go.


Snake bite leather Contrast goes on and looks great with the highlighted brown.

 The black Contrast paint makes great armour, I’m really quite impressed. My limited Contrast colours won’t get the whole figure done but it’s a cracking start.

I also found you can paint over colours to tweak them in hue. Fun and refreshing and a great way for getting another block of figures finished.

4 comments:

Unlucky General said...

I've used pencils on models but never figures. Good idea and great results.

AKI said...

By all accounts, just buy the GW contrast medium, and every colour can become a Contrast colour. Looking good tho!

szeperd said...

I bought some Contrasts recently and found these interesting too. Great job above!

Neil said...

I never thought of using pencils. Great idea and thanks for the tip.
Neil

https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/