Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Just got my first box of ECW plastics!

I’ve seen these figures everywhere for years now but because of my lead mountain have never bought any. Well that’s all changed as of today! These are of course the Warlordgames plastic Box set and I have to say I’m very pleased. Not only is the detail very good but they are not small like their lead counterparts. They scale in very nicely with the larger Bicorne and Redoubt figures. The detail is good for quite an early plastic release which I’m impressed with.

I’ve been using their ECW cavalry horses for a while but not the infantry, this might push me to complete another unit for Parliament. Being of a good size means I can sprinkle a few Bicorne in the ranks for variety. I’m very late to jump on this bus but I’m glad I took the leap.



The great thing about plastics of course is that you can convert the hell out of them. I will try a few head swops with these guys using the Gripping Beast Dark age warriors box.
Here we see a Foundry figure next to a Warlordgames plastic one, the Foundry is smaller but perfectly fine to mix in with the crowd. I will be painting these new plastics up as a London Trained Band, as a lot of them have what could pass as a buff jerkin on.

Best of all for £18 off eBay for 40 figures, you can’t really go wrong.
 

3 comments:

Codsticker said...

The majority of my ECW army is WG plastics; they are a great way to build an army fast and I found them really satisfying to paint. I think they way you are planning to do it, mixing them in with metal figures, is the best way to go. That way you don't have a whole bunch of regiments looking too much alike which is the mistake I made.

Neil said...

Like Codsticker, the overwhelming majority of my ECW armies are WG plastics with some WG metal. Most of my cavalry and Scots are Perry however. I have had a lot of fun converting the WG plastics.
Neil

https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

Secundus said...

Yes I have to say I think they are really good sculpts and unbeatable for the price. I’m looking forward to chopping some up!