Friday, February 19, 2021

Painting Oxford Blew

Image from Osprey publications.

It seems I have stumbled on the perfect colour to represent Oxford blew. Over the years I have collected different hues of paints looking for that choice blend of chalky, powered blue, but tonight I found it!
 It’s an old citadel colour, now long gone, funny shaped pot and all. Hideous blue produces the colour I was always looking for.

It not all bad news for painters out there who share the same painting struggle. I believe the old range of citadel paints were bought and renamed by a company called Coat’d’arms. I haven’t had time to check but in theory the colour is still in production just under an altered name.

 I also managed to get some paint on a few of the new plastics tonight and they paint up very well. A couple will be added to a base of Fore Lorn hope I am painting and they should fit in seamlessly. 


Not sure how long I’ve had this paint for but it’s full and in very good condition, good for many regiments to come. Although in an army of six regiments, two will be more than enough.
Another base of skirmishers get dipped. My soft tone tends to dry very quickly and is safe to touch within an hour. I always leave it 24hrs though. I have a smell test, if it still smells...it is still drying so leave it be, no matter how tempting it is to matt varnish it.



 

4 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

These are looking great, what rules are you going to use with them?

Phil said...

Lovely figures, great painting!

Ray Rousell said...

Great colour, it almost looks grey?

Secundus said...

Thanks guys, I’m planning on playing Victory without Quarter with these figures.