Thursday, February 10, 2022

Building a MDF Town

After the Games Day last weekend, I decided I have found the perfect set of rules for my future wars project, One Hour Skirmish Rules. This has now given me a bit of inspiration to make a kit I bought a couple of years ago to play my Desert war idea.
The set comes from a company called Game Cult and is a basic set of Adobe buildings. From what I remember it was quite reasonable priced on eBay. Looking on there today there are hundreds of such sets on there for a good price.
This is a holiday snap from Greece, not sure how that got in here 
I had to laugh when I started to make the kits and realized there was no windows in the buildings. This was quickly fixed with a piece of cereal packet and some balsa wood.

My wife really wanted to make them after seeing all the lovely buildings from the Games Day. So together we sat down and unbagged the sheets of MDF and got sticking. The instructions are basic so there is a bit of working out to be done.

The new windows and doors were improved by a bit of balsa wood again. I also started to stick random bits of wood on to add a bit of interest to the big flat areas. I placed these where there would be structure beams so they kind of made sense.
I found a very old pack of Milliput and mixed it up. This was to create small areas of brick textures that could be exposed through the plaster.
There was an idea of drilling out brick with a small craft drill, but the Milliput seemed a lot easier and less messy. 




I stuck a pile of crates to the roof so I could use it to pick it up and remove it in games.

Below you can see some structure supports added to create some detailing on the building. They are covered with the filler some they look more integrated.
I then plastered the building in wood plaster with grit mixed in for texture. I found I could create brick textures in the plaster once it was almost dry, so my stage with the Milliput probably wasn't necessary. Still it's all work in progress.

 
This is the company that makes the kits.
Two more buildings are fitted together. I love the way you can create dark alley ways in the village, would make for some great shoot outs.




Here you can see the extra bits of structural ' stuff' I added to create detail. I think the buildings look better for them, I'll have to do some more on the others.
Most of this exposed brick work was sculpted into the plaster with a dental tool, nice and easy with the same effect as the Milliput.

4 comments:

Norm said...

Looking very good and well worth the extra effort.

Secundus said...

Thanks Norm. It's nice to get my wife involved, she's enjoying it more than me.

~ Tom T said...

Lovely work! Thanks for the company suggestion & the great write up.
~ TT

Mr Ballista said...

That's going to look banging when it's painted 👍