Saturday, February 12, 2022

Painting The Town Red

The wood filler being dry, it was time to get some paint in the buildings. I gave it a spray of Humbrol Dark brown to start with, then raided my craft paint draw.
I was pleased with the way it came out and the brick work looking good.
The building was then dry brushed with a mid brown and a Sandstone colour.
It certainly has an old weathered feel to it.
I had used the colours I had in craft paints, mainly one called Sandstone. However, a wash of Woodland scenics 'stone grey' gave it the grey colour I was after.

Zoe putting on the wood filler.



Another house built and covered in extra bits for interest. I had to admit, even I thought I had over done it at this stage, but once the filler had been plastered on, it looked okay.

For my planned desert game involving futuristic marines and militia, I tried to make some of these structures a bit Sci-Fi looking. I think the term they use in film model making is greeblies. Lots of little bits stuck on to create details.

Balsa wood planks were stuck on to add some interest and make it look less box like. 

This building is like a fort, I imagine this is where the enemy HQ would be, hostages and all. It has a wall around it and only one main door. I reenforced this to make it look a bit more formidable.


More Wood filler and the building started coming to life. The well was made of rings of wood stuck together and after a generous coating in filler looked very realistic.



After the wood filler has dried slightly, I sculpted in some bricks for detail with a dental tool again. I think it's this last detail that makes all the difference.




The HQ gets its mud walls.
He's me pressing in the brick detail. The wood filler once semi dry took the sculpting very well.
Again these later building's didn't have a lot of Windows, so I added a few extra bits to become shutters. I think this is meant to be one of the gates. I found balsa wood made for better doors and gates because you can score it with deeper grooves.
A battered balsa wood door.
You can see all those extra bits stuck to the kit now look good once covered in filler. They make the building look more realistic. There are no straight lines in Adobe houses.
The main gate of the HQ is starting to look like a tough nut to crack.

You get in...but you don't get out!
I built up the walls a little higher with the filler to make it a bit more of a compound.
The town is almost finished, just need to paint some watered down wood glue with grit on the roofs.

Not a bad afternoons work, between the two of us with managed to do the whole lot. I suppose some families do jigsaws together, well this was definitely like a 3D puzzle, but much more useful for the future.
 

6 comments:

John Tailby said...

Those look great

tradgardmastare said...

These are coming along splendidly!

Rob said...

Can't wait to see them finished - but please, it's balsa.

Secundus said...

Haha I wondered why my auto correct was being weird. Dyslexia is a crawl mistress.

Rob said...

Your dyslexia vs my OCD - it's a tough one.

Codsticker said...

Fantastic work. Wood filler is an underutilised product in our hobby IMO; you can do so much with it as your adobe buildings show.