Friday, February 04, 2022

Elven Shield Wall

laying out a test base to see how they fit. My original plan was to have four in the front rank as a packed shield wall. 


It's funny. I've always shied away from green stuff as I didn't think I could do it. However, messing around with those slimy Fomorians has really given me some confidence to push myself. It looks hard but the more you do the easier it gets. Each time I do some, I seem to be attempting harder and more complex ideas. I would never attempt faces, but clothing and armour seem to be okay.

It has really made the difference to the Fomorian project and to these Wood Elves. The plastic figures didn't really say Wood Elf before. Now, covered in leaves and stylised clothing, they carry it off better I think.
The problem is it's so addictive you just can't stop... This Blog is becoming Green stuff World. Although I can't put it off much longer, I'm going to start painting these very soon. So not to get overwhelmed by the shear numbers of new sculpts, I'll do six at a time so I can enjoy it.



I used a tiny bead from my Wife's collection to act as a cloak clasp.
This works well, putting a pouch over the knife, reminds me of something medieval.

This captain took ages but hopefully he was worth it. 

"Forward...drive them into the river!"

A long hood helps with the Elven feel, easy to do, just stretch it with your fingers.


A sash is another nice Elven item to add. This guy is not finished yet and will need a few tiny details added.

A swaggering sword master, his body is in fact from a Perry's Hundred Year War plastic box. It seemed to be in the right gear, so was drafted into the battle line.
He would look good with two long knives on his belt too.
This guy looks over confident...I'd better put him at the back for safety.
Cutting down the swords in the Perry's historical box sets can make for great long knives. They are thin enough to came across as a dagger. Simply cut them to the length you want, then shape with a file.
A Conquest Norman, this time armoured, gets the Elvish touch. A feather can make all the difference.

A Wood Elf ranger type prepares his axe for battle 

Another converted Perry sword makes a nice long knife for this axeman.

 I think I need to stop now and do some painting. I've never painted wood Elves before and I'm looking forward to it.

UPDATE:
Well it's been a few hours and I've added some small additions. Only a few left to do now.













1 comment:

tradgardmastare said...

I am really enjoying your green stuff work especially on the elves. It shows what can be done and how one can individualise and personalise your figures.