Monday, February 21, 2022

Mirkwood Standard Bearer

Rough working out of the idea and look of the standard.
I decided to model the banner out of green stuff after a long think. I had bought Elven paper flags but misplaced these in the recent house move. However, the putty banner works great and reminds me of the thick 'Regiments of Renown' standards from the Eighties. I have decided to sculpt the decals and emblems on the shields and banners in putty. This is easy to do and saves a lot of tricky painting. It also differentiates them from the other armies that use painted designs.
The last of the undercoated figure gets finished off, the standard bearer. I left him to last as I knew he would need a bit of extra detail 
For all of my constant research and reference, I had started to paint the banner brown but then remembered one of the only details in the book about the the Elven host... They had green standards. This worked out better as the green really popped once washed with ink.
The torso is from a Perry's plastic Hundred Years war figure. I loved the plant looking tunic. The plate mail was not okay for a Dark ages look, so I trimmed off the knee discs and painted it a leather colour. Kind of works and at a glance no one notices. " Keen are the eyes of the Elves"

 

No comments: